|Old Matheson Memorial Library--Some time
before 1810, the Masons in Chatham (Cheraw) and the Old Cheraw
Academical Society built a two story structure now known as the
Matheson Memorial Library. It was constructed for the Cheraw
Academy, a school for boys. The Presbyterian Church used the
upstairs as its headquarters from 1828 to 1832, and in 1836, John
Matheson purchased the house. In 1838, the academy moved downtown.
From March 3 to 6, 1865, General Sherman's Union Army bivouacked
around the house. In 1960, Mr. and Mrs. John F. Matheson of Sunbury,
Pennsylvania, gave the house to the town, and it was put into use as
a library. It is currently under private ownership.
|501 Kershaw St.--Built around 1845 by Captain
John Craig Evans, the residence at 501 Kershaw later became the home
of "Dolly" Page for whom Pageland, S.C. was named. Purchased from
Page descendants in 1984 by Kay and Larry Spears, the house has been
completely restored. The wing visible on the right, in this photo,
was removed and replaced with a similar structure during this
|Hartzell House--143 McIver St.--Most commonly known today as the "Hartzell House", this residence was built in 1790 by Gen. Erasmus Powe. It was lived in by his daughter, Elizabeth Powe Ervin, and her family, until 1857 when it was sold to Justice Henry McIver. During McIver's residency, he had his law office on Third Street moved here and attached to the south west side as a wing. During Gen. Williams T. Sherman's occupation of Cheraw in March, 1865, this was used as his personal headquarters. The McIver family sold the house to the Rev. and Mrs. J.S. Hartzell in 1902. During the early part of this century, the house was used as a "Yankee Resort" known as "The Pines".|
|321 Third St.--The Edwin Malloy home at 321 Third Street is believed to have been built shortly after 1820. This photo was taken prior to its remodeling in the early 1900's when a large wrap-around porch and an upstairs porch with a doorway leading from the upstairs hallway were added. The porches, except the one over the front door, were removed in the early 1940's when the house was moved back off the street and restored. Supposedly, one mule and a windlass were used to move the house. Two slave cabins and a storage room survive from the early 1800's behind the house.|
|Wannamaker Home--The home of Elliott Wannamaker at 500 Kershaw Street was built around 1889 by John Craig Evans for his son William. Evans also built the house directly across the street which is now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Larry Spears. This photo, which was taken in the early 1900's, shows the house with its original red color. Even today, the red paint can be seen "bleeding" through the present white color. Otherwise the exterior is completely unchanged from its original construction. Only the kitchen in the interior has undergone any major changes. Elliott Wannamaker's father, Dr. Theodore Wannamaker, purchased it in 1914.|
405 Church St.--This is an early 20th century photo of the
home of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Hendley at 405 Church Street. From deeds
and early pictures, it is assumed the house was built between 1902
and 1907 by Jennie Clement. It was sold in 1911 to L. A. Mieklejohn
who remained here until 1941. There were
four more owners over the next 33 years until the Hendleys purchased it in 1976. Note the decorative woodwork along the roof lines, the banisters, the left side porch, and the evidence of a multicolor paint scheme!
|226 Third St.--Possibly the third oldest house in Cheraw, this house is presently the residence of Mrs. Clarence Stewart. It was once the residence of John Auchincloss Inglis, a Chancellor of South Carolina during the War Between the States. The house is thought to have been built around 1800. The original part consisted of only two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs. The only stairway was outside, and a long hall led to the kitchen. Another wing was added later. All of the sills in the first part of the house are hand-hewn. The boards are held together with big wooden pegs, and some of the windows still have handmade panes.|
|Enfield--Enfield, 135 McIver Street, was built before 1820 by Gen. Erasmus Powe after his return to Cheraw following the War of 1812, probably as a wedding gift for his daughter. He also planted the avenue of cedar trees in front of the house now in the plaza of Cedar Avenue at the time the house was being constructed. During Sherman's occupation of Cheraw in March, 1865, Sherman's second in command, Gen. O. O. Howard, used the house as his headquarters. For many years, the house was the home of Dr. J. J. Wilson, and the area was known as Wilsonia in the early part of this century. Over the years it suffered damage from one major fire and the Charleston earthquake.|
|427 Third St.--This house was built by LaCoste Evans in 1905. Bennett Moore extensively remodeled the house in 1940, removing the porches and putting stucco over the exterior. A concrete wall was also added around the property.|
|219 Third St.--The house on the right was built in 1836 by the Rev. J. C. Coit, first president of the Merchant's Bank and first regular pastor of the Presbyterian Church. In 1859 Mr. Coit sold this house and the adjacent building, which were then connected, to the Presbyterian Church for use as a manse. They sold the property in 1889. In 1964 the Powers House on the left was re-purchased by the Presbyterians who tore down the structure in the 1970's. The old Coit-Poston House remains at 219 Third Street.|
406 Kershaw St.--The first house of "any pretensions" built
in Cheraw after the Confederate War, 406 Kershaw Street appears in
this photograph as it did before remodeling by Kate E. Estes. The
house was built by her father A. L. Evans in 1885. The Frank Evans
family also lived here for a number of years. In 1934 James E. Powe
purchased the property, and it is now the home of his
grand-daughter and her husband, Susan and Richard Owens.
|335 Third St.--Louis M. Evans built the Dutch
Colonial Revival residence on the corner of Third and Powe Streets
shortly after the turn of the century. The children in this picture
are probably his sons, Henry Malloy Evans and L. M. Evans, Jr.
Notice the windmill in the background.
|Click Here to go back to the "Cheraw in Photos" Page.|